I work on Heidegger and aesthetics, primarily as the two relate to Post-Kantian philosophy. I am interested in phenomenology and Continental philosophy in general and in modernism as a philosophical and artistic problem.
Spring 2019 I teach FIL 4532 Continental Philosophy, a master seminar devoted to a careful study of Heidegger's Being and Time. I also lecture for Ex.Phil. and our new department-wide Ex.Fac on a regular basis.
Higher education and employment history
Ph.D. Boston University; Cand.philol. University of Oslo. Previously Assistant Professor at Florida International University and Visiting Assistant Professor at Marquette University.
- Torsen, Ingvild (2018). The Problem of Agency in Heidegger's Interpretation of Van Gogh, In David P. Nichols (ed.), Van Gogh among the Philosophers. Painting, Thinking, Being. Lexington Books. ISBN 9781498531351. 3. s 63 - 80
- Torsen, Ingvild (2018). The future of Hegelian art history: On the body in late modern sculpture, In Paul A. Kottman & Michael Squire (ed.), The Art of Hegel's Aesthetics. Hegelian Philosophy and the Perspectives of Art History. Wilhelm Fink Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7705-6285-5. Chapter. s 303 - 330
- Torsen, Ingvild (2016). Disinterest and truth. On Heidegger’s interpretation of Kant’s aesthetics. British Journal of Aesthetics. ISSN 0007-0904. 56(1), s 15- 32 . doi: 10.1093/aesthj/ayv045
- Torsen, Ingvild (2015). Er det på tide å dumpe Heidegger?. Arr. Idéhistorisk tidsskrift. ISSN 0802-7005.
- Torsen, Ingvild (2014). Robert Pippin’s After the Beautiful. Hegel and the Philosophy of Pictorial Modernism. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. ISSN 1538-1617.
- Torsen, Ingvild (2014). "The Origin of the Work of Art" and Its Legacy, In Michael Kelly (ed.), Encyclopedia of Aesthetics. Second edition. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-937032-0. -. s 296 - 299
- Torsen, Ingvild (2014). What was abstract art? (From the point of view of Heidegger). Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism. ISSN 0021-8529. 72(3), s 291- 302