Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Mind, Metaphysics
In 2013, Sterken completed a joint PhD in Philosophy from the University of St Andrews and the University of Oslo. During her PhD, she was a member of the Arche Philosophical Research Centre at the University of St Andrews and the Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature (CSMN) at the University of Oslo. Before that, she earned her undergraduate degree in mathematics and philosophy at the University of Toronto and her Master's degree in logic and mathematics at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) at the University of Amsterdam.
Her primary area of research is the philosophy of language, however her research also connects to a broad range of issues in metaphysics, philosophy of mind, philosophical logic and social/feminist philosophy. Some of her current research includes interdisciplinary empirical work. Sterken is a research affiliate with ConceptLab at the University of Oslo.
- Sterken, Rachel; Michaelson, Eliot & Pepp, Jessica Alden (2020). Why we should keep talking about fake news. Inquiry (Oslo). ISSN 0020-174X. . doi: 10.1080/0020174x.2019.1685231
- Pepp, Jessica Alden; Michaelson, Eliot & Sterken, Rachel (2019). Why we should keep talking about fake news. Inquiry (Oslo). ISSN 0020-174X. s 1- 17 . doi: 10.1080/0020174X.2019.1685231
- Sterken, Rachel (2019). Linguistic Interventions and Transformative Communicative Disruption, In Alexis Burgess; Herman Wright Cappelen & David Plunkett (ed.), Conceptual Engineering and Conceptual Ethics. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198801856. 20. s 417 - 434
- Sterken, Rachel; Michaelson, Eliot & Pepp, Jessica Alden (2019). What's New About Fake News?. Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy. ISSN 1559-3061. 16(2), s 67- 94 . doi: doi.org/10.26556/jesp.v16i2.629 Full text in Research Archive.
- Sterken, Rachel (2018). The structures of social structural explanation: Comments on haslanger's what is (social) structural explanation?. Disputatio. ISSN 0873-626X. 10(50), s 173- 199 . doi: 10.2478/disp-2018-0012
- Sterken, Rachel (2017). The meaning of generics. Philosophy Compass. ISSN 1747-9991. 12(8) . doi: 10.1111/phc3.12431
- Sterken, Rachel (2016). Generics, Covert Structure and Logical Form. Mind & Language. ISSN 0268-1064. 31(5), s 503- 529 . doi: 10.1111/mila.12118
- Sterken, Rachel (2015). Generics in context. Philosophers' Imprint. ISSN 1533-628X. 15(21), s 1- 30 Full text in Research Archive.
- Sterken, Rachel (2015). Generics, Content and Cognitive Bias. Analytic Philosophy. ISSN 2153-9596. 56(1), s 75- 93 . doi: 10.1111/phib.12056
- Sterken, Rachel (2015). Leslie on Generics. Philosophical Studies. ISSN 0031-8116. 172(9), s 2493- 2512 . doi: 10.1007/s11098-014-0429-2 Full text in Research Archive.
- Sterken, Rachel (2016). Review: Bernhard Nickel's 'Between Logic and the World: An Integrated Theory of Generics'. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. ISSN 1538-1617.
- Sterken, Rachel (2013). Generics in Context: Generalisation, Context and Communication.