Comics in Contemporary Arab Culture: Politics, Language and Resistance (I.B. Tauris 2019)
I do research in three main fields: Language, culture and society in the Arab world, Islamist ideology, and politics and journalism. My research focuses on Egypt, Palestine, Lebanon and Tunisia.
My current research project is Journalism in struggles for democracy: media and polarization in the Middle East, with Kjetil Selvik at the Norwegian Institute for Foreign Affairs (NUPI).
For more details on my research, see my Research Gate profile.
From 2021 to 2024 I serve as Head of research at IKOS, and I won't teach any courses during this period. Courses I have taught include:
- MES4000 - Theory, Methodology and Project Description in Middle East Studies
- MES4500 - Islamist thought and practice in the Arab world
- ARA1010 - Arabic A (grammar)
- ARA2010 - Arabic D (grammar)
- MØNA1000 - Midtøsten: Permanent krise? Hvordan forstå Midtøsten
- Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), senior researcher (2013-2018)
- Fafo Institute for Applied International Studies, senior researcher (2008-2013)
- PhD in Arabic and Islamic Studies, University of Oslo (2008).