I primarily teach Persian language courses in IKOS. My philosophy towards language teaching is that it takes multiple approaches to develop linguistic and cultural competency. I try to teach my Persian classes in ways that address the students’ diverse backgrounds and learning styles while ensuring that everyone gets to participate in authentic communication, meaningful collaboration, and critical thinking in the classroom. Our program here at the University of Oslo offers many great opportunities to engage with Persian in various intellectual, professional, social, and cultural capacities and the kinds of communicative and literacy skills that students develop in Persian classes make all manners of engagement possible. In addition to language classes, I also offer courses related to Persian literature and Iranian Studies at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
My research focuses on modern Persian literary cultures, especially political and aesthetic debates among the generations of poets who participated in the Iranian Revolution of 1979. Some of my other research interests include modernist poetry, prison memoirs, and translation studies.
- Assistant Professor (2013-2018), Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilization and Adjunct Professor in Comparative Literature, Cinema, and Media, University of Washington
- Visiting Lecturer (2011-2013), Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, San Francisco State University
- PhD (2013), Near Eastern Studies, University of California, Berkeley
- MA (2006), Middle Eastern Studies, University of Chicago
- BA (2001), Spanish, University of Georgia
- Alavi, Samad (2015). Living in Lyric: The Task of Translating a Modernist Ghazal, In Kamran Talattof (ed.), Persian Language, Literature and Culture: New Leaves, Fresh Looks. Routledge. ISBN 9781138826212. Chapter 17. s 354 - 364
- Alavi, Samad & Batmanghelichi, Kristin Soraya (2021). Persisk: del.
- Alavi, Samad (2020). Review of "Lean Against this Late Hour". World literature today. ISSN 0196-3570. 94(2), s 86- 87
- Alavi, Samad (2020). Review of "Negative of a Group Photograph". World literature today. ISSN 0196-3570. 94(1), s 95
- Alavi, Samad (2020). The Poetry that is Life.
- Alavi, Samad (2017). Review of "Iranian Film and Persian Fiction". Arab studies journal. ISSN 1083-4753. 25(1), s 189- 193
- Alavi, Samad (2017). Review of "Standing on Earth". World literature today. ISSN 0196-3570. 91(3), s 107- 108
- Alavi, Samad (2016). Review of "Born Upon the Dark Spear: Selected Poems of Ahmad Shamlu". SCTIW review. ISSN 2374-9288.
- Alavi, Samad (2016). Review of "Iranian Culture: Representation and Identity". Iranian Studies. ISSN 0021-0862. 49(6), s 1099- 1103 . doi: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00210862.2016.1241629
- Alavi, Samad (2015). Review of "Literary Subterfuge and Contemporary Persian Fiction: Who Writes Iran". American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences. ISSN 0742-6763. 32(4), s 109- 113
- Alavi, Samad (2015). Review of "The New Muslims of Post-Conquest Iran: Tradition, Memory, and Conversion". American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences. ISSN 0742-6763. 32(1), s 130- 134