The MCT Portal is a laboratory for network-based musical communication.
The main goal of the MCT Portal and Video Room is to explore, challenge and develop technological solutions for the transmission of audio and video signals over regular network connections, with (a) low latency, (b) high speed, and (c) high quality. The lab will have three main use areas (1) be connected with a similar labs, and be a cornerstone of the international Master’s programme Music, Communication and Technology (2) be central in the research collaboration between the music technology groups at UiO and beyond, as well as national and international partners, (3) be a common UiO test lab for the most advanced audiovisual technologies available.
The MCT portal currently uses five main communication systems:
- LOLA: LOw LAtency audio visual streaming system
- TICO: TIny COdec
- NDI: Network Device Interface
- Dante: Digital Audio Network Through Ethernet
- Jacktrip: High-Quality Audio Network Performance over the Internet
- Zoom: A commercial teleconferencing system
In addition, the Portal features a variety of specialized equipment, including:
- OptiTrack motion capture system
- 8 channel speakers system for spatial audio (expandable to 16).
- Midas M32 digital console.
- An extensive collection of screens, cameras and microphones.