late antique and early medieval history in general (c. 300–1000), and more specifically, Carolingian history, the history of the Viking Age, and late antique and early medieval cultural history
- HIS1200 særemne: The Carolingian World (751–877)
- HIS1200 særemne: Medieval Monasticism
- HIS2140/HIS41040: Objects and Identities in the Viking Age (c.750–c.1050)
- HIS2129/HIS4129: Topics in Early Medieval Culture
- HIS2128/HIS4128: Perspectives on the Viking Age
- HIS4210: Den lange senantikken. Transformasjonen av den romerske verden (ca. 250–750)
- HIS4211: Political and Legal Culture in the Middle Ages
- HIS4215: Roma caput mundi. Historiske perspektiver på topografi, religion og makt
- HIS4100: Viking and Medieval Europe: Interdisciplinary Perspectives
- VMS4100: Philological Method and Theory
Higher education and employment history
MA, History, Kazan State University, 1988. Kandidate of Historical Sciences, Classical History, Kazan State University, 1991. MA, Medieval Studies, Central European University, Budapest, 1998. PhD, Medieval History, Fordham University, New York, 2004.
Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Ancient and Medieval History, Kazan State University, 1994–99 (tenured, resigned). Teaching Associate, History Department, Fordham University, 2003–2004. Postdoctoral Fellow (2004–2007) and Senior Researcher (2007–2012) at the Centre for Medieval Studies, University of Bergen.
From 2013, Professor of Early Medieval History at the Dept. of Archaeology, Conservation and History, University of Oslo.
Member of the editorial board for the book series Medieval Identities: Socio-Cultural Spaces at Brepols.
Select Fellowships, Memberships and Awards
- Dr. Günther Findel-Stiftung Fellowship, Herzog August Bibliothek, Wolfenbüttel (2002–2003),
- Yngre fremragende forskere Fellowship, NFR (2007–2012),
- Oliver Smithies Visiting Lectureship, Balliol College, Oxford (2012),
- FriHum-ERC Fellowship, NFR (2012–2017),
- Clare Hall Visiting Fellowship, Cambridge (2015–16),
- Life member of Clare Hall College, Cambridge (2016–),
- Visiting Membership at the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (fall 2016),
- ERC Advanced Grant 2020 (2022–2026),
- FRIPRO grant 2021, NFR.