Veronique Isabelle Claire Pouillard
Véronique Pouillard does research and has published books and articles in business and economic history, with focus on topics including the media, fashion, and the history of intellectual property rights. She is the author of Paris to New York: The Transatlantic Fashion Industry in the Twentieth Century, Harvard University Press, 2021. She is also the co-editor of the Oxford Handbook of Luxury Business, Oxford University Press, 2021.
She was a Principal Investigator in the HERA II project on the Enterprise of Culture funded by the European Science Foundation, then one of the four coordinators of the Nordic Branding project funded by the UiO:Norden transdisciplinary initiative (2017-2019). Véronique Pouillard leads the ERC Consolidator project, Grant 818523, CREATIVE IPR - The History of Intellectual Property Rights in the Creative Industries (2019-2024). She is currently writing a book on the history of the internationalization and the colonization of intellectual property.
History of business, economy, and international trade
History of the cultural industries: advertising, media, music, fashion, luxury
History of intellectual property rights
History of colonialism: Congo
Higher education and employment history
- Professor, Modern International History, University of Oslo, 2017-
- Førsteamanuensis (tenured), University of Oslo, 2011-2017
- Première assistante (tenured), Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2009-2011
- Harvard Newcomen Fellow in Business History, Harvard University, 2008-2009
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Fund for Scientific Research of Belgium, visiting scholar at Columbia University, 2007-2008
- Belgian-American Educational Foundation, Hoover Fellow, Columbia University, 2006-2007
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Fund for Scientific Research of Belgium, 2003-2007
- M.A. in Philosophy, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2005
- Ph.D. in History, Université Libre de Bruxelles, funded by the Fund for Scientific Research in Belgium, 1999-2003
- M.A. in History, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 1998
Member, The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, 2021-
ERC CoG 818523, CREATIVE IPR - The History of Intellectual Property Rights in the Creative Industries, 2018.
Prize of the Académie Royale de Belgique, Classe des Lettres et des Sciences Morales et Politiques, 10th question, 2005.
- HIS4427 Intellectual Property, Piracy and the Commons through History: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iakh/HIS4427/index.html (2019)
- HIS2427 Intellectual Property, Piracy and the Commons through History: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iakh/HIS2427/index.html (2019)
- HIS2354 The History of Consumption (2012-)
- HIS4354 The History of Consumption (2012-)
- HIS4012 Theory in Practice: Classics of History (2015, 2016)
- Særemne: Colonial History, The case of Congo (2012-)
- Særemne: Norden som Merkevare (2017)
- Advising at bachelor, master, PhD and postdoc levels in the areas of competence mentioned above. For 2019-2024, please also see my ERC-funded project CREATIVE IPR: The History of Intellectual Property in the Creative Industries for research topics.
Books and edited volumes
Paris to New York, 2021
The Oxford Handbook of Luxury Business (ed. with P.-Y. Donzé and J. Roberts), 2021
European Fashion (ed. with R. L. Blaszczyk), 2018
Interrogating Intellectual Property Rights (ed. with T. Kuldova), 2017
Publicité et Propagande (ed. with I. Di Jorio), 2009
La publicité en Belgique, 2005
La mode dans tous ses états (ed. with V. Piette), 2004
The History of Advertising in Belgium, 2004
Hirsch & Cie, 2000