My contribution to the research project The Legacy of Birgitta of Sweden: Women, Politics, and Reform in Renaissance Italy deals specifically with the political meaning of female prophecy in early modern times. I am investigaing the impact of Birgitta of Sweden’s Revelationes on women’s prophetic experience in the first four decades of the sixteenth century, when Birgitta’s fortune was rich and majestic. I am focusing on three case studies, i.e. Domenica Narducci of Paradiso (1473-1533), Caterina Mattei of Racconigi (1486-1547), and Paola Antonia Negri (1508-1555), which shed light on an important part of the reception and re-mediation of both Birgitta’s writings and her prophetic model itself. The analysis of the case studies, which present very clear connections with the figure of Birgitta, will be a first step towards a fuller reconstruction of the more general picture of the widespread influence of Birgittine ideas on the Italian thought as a whole before the Counter-Reformation.
- English political thought in early modern era, with a focus on women’s political discourse and the origin of the public sphere
- Constitutional history
- The concept of prophecy and female prophetism in Renaissance and early modern Europe
- Western political theology in sixteenth and seventeenth centuries
- Contemporary feminist theory
- Marxian theory
- 2019 Visiting scholar at University of California - Berkeley, under the supervision of Professor Victoria Kahn
- 2018 Post-doc research grant at the Edith Saurer Foundation (Austria)
Project: From Public Authority to Private Marginality? Early Modern Women Prophets in Italy and England
- 2018 Post-doc scholarship at the Filippo Burzio Foundation (Italy)
Project: Witch and Saint. Caterina Mattei and Female Prophecy in Early Modern Piedmont
- 2016 PhD in Politics, Institutions and History, Department of Political and Social Sciences, University of Bologna
Dissertation: Between God and the Public Sphere. Mary Astell in English Constitutional History
- 2012 MA degree in International Relations, Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Bologna
Thesis: Social Citizenship in Feminist Contemporary Reflection
- 2009 BA degree in International Studies, Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Bologna
Thesis: Security and Securitization: Changes in Political Discourse
- Member of the editorial board of the academic journal "Scienza & Politica. Per una storia delle dottrine"
- Member of the international research group EMoDiR (Early Modern Religious Dissents and Radicalism)
- Member of Renaissance Society of America
- Member of European Academy of Religion
- Referee for the academic journal "Storia del pensiero politico"
Scholarships and grants
- January 2018 Grant for collaborative projects provided by the Academy for Global Humanities and Critical Theories.
- June-July 2017 Sovereignty and Social Movements. Summer School in Global Studies and Critical Theories, University of Bologna.
- September 2011 Liberty/Liberation. Summer School of the Italian Society of Women Historians, Centro Studi Fiesole, Florence.
- November 2011 'From generation to generation. Italian women from the Unification up to today', University of Florence.
(2020) La strega di Dio. Profezia politica, storia e riforma in Caterina da Racconigi (1486-1547), Roma: Aracne.
(2020) La critica imprevista. Politica, teologia e patriarcato in Mary Astell, Macerata: EUM.
(2020) Alla vigilia di un nuovo patriarcato. Il disordine delle donne nel Seicento inglese, in Strategie dell’ordine: categorie, fratture, soggetti,
ed. by R. Baritono and M. Ricciardi, Quaderni di Scienza & Politica, n. 8, 37-57.
With Ferrari R., (2020) Il fermento femminile. Marx e la critica del patriarcato, in Global Marx, ed. by M. Battistini, E. Cappuccilli, M. Ricciardi, Milano: Meltemi, forthcoming.
(2019), Nemici di Chiesa, Stato e patriarcato. Donne e dissenzienti nel Seicento inglese, in Il mito del nemico. Identità, alterità e le loro Rappresentazioni, ed. by I. Graziani and M. V. Spissu, Bologna: Minerva, 121-126
(2018), Mattei, Caterina in Dizionario di eretici, dissidenti e inquisitori nel mondo mediterraneo, http://www.ereticopedia.org/caterina-mattei
with Ferrari R. (2016), Il discorso femminista. Storia e critica del canone politico moderno, Scienza & Politica. Per una storia delle dottrine, Vol. 28, 54, 5-21
(2015), Remarkable Women in a Remarkable Age. Sulla genesi della sfera pubblica inglese, 1642-1752, Scienza & Politica. Per una storia delle dottrine, Vol. XXVII, 52, 105-134