I am associate professor of practical philosophy at the University of Oslo. I hold a Ph.D. in philosophy from the Australian National University, and bachelor degrees in philosophy and social information from Universidad Católica de Chile. I was previously a postdoc at the Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature at the University of Oslo.
One of my areas of interest in political philosophy is the connection between moral cosmopolitanism, global poverty and human rights. In my book, The Right of Necessity, I ask what is morally permissible for the needy to do for themselves and by themselves in order to get out of their chronically deprived situations. You can listen to an interview about the book here.
With Tom Campbell, I have also co-edited a book on Theories of Justice.
Another area of interest is the normative foundation of territorial rights and rights over natural resources. Currently, I am leading a three-year research project financed by the Polar Programme of the Norwegian Research Council, entitled Political Philosophy Looks to Antarctica. Its aim is to develop a normative framework to assess claims over territory and resources in the White Continent, as well as to inquire into the legitimacy of the international arrangements governing it (i.e., the Antarctic Treaty System and its related instruments and conventions).
I also have a book in Spanish about the figure of the impartial spectator in Adam Smith’s Theory of Moral Sentiments.
When it comes to ethics, I am curious about the foundations of animal rights (see this article on Veganism), and our relationship towards the non-human world in general (see, for example, this article where I discuss two very different approaches to environmental ethics by two very different film directors, James Cameron and Hayao Miyazaki).
An updated list of publications (with links to them), talks and my cv can be found in my personal webpage.
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2019). Justice. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. ISSN 1538-1617.
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2019). The Human Right to Subsistence. Philosophy Compass. ISSN 1747-9991. . doi: 10.1111/phc3.12618
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2018). The moral limits of territorial claims in Antarctica. Ethics and International Affairs. ISSN 0892-6794. 32(3), s 339- 360 . doi: 10.1017/S0892679418000527
- Donoso, Alfonso & Mancilla, Alejandra (2017). Doctors with borders? An authority-based approach to the brain drain. South African Journal of Philosophy. ISSN 0258-0136. 36(1), s 69- 77 . doi: 10.1080/02580136.2017.1265375
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2017). Shanty towns as an expression of the right of necessity [Las poblaciones callampa como expresión del derecho de necesidad]. Revista de Ciencia Política. ISSN 0716-1417. 37(3), s 755- 765 . doi: 10.4067/S0718-090X2017000300755
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2017). What the Old Right of Necessity Can Do for the Contemporary Global Poor. Journal of Applied Philosophy. ISSN 0264-3758. 34(5), s 607- 620 . doi: 10.1111/japp.12170 Full text in Research Archive.
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2016). Review article: The environmental turn in territorial rights. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy. ISSN 1369-8230. 19(2), s 221- 241 . doi: 10.1080/13698230.2013.868981
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2016). Shared Sovereignty over Migratory Natural Resources. Res Publica. ISSN 1356-4765. 22(1), s 21- 35 . doi: 10.1007/s11158-015-9309-7
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2015). The Volcanic Asymmetry or the Question of Permanent Sovereignty over Natural Disasters. Journal of Political Philosophy. ISSN 0963-8016. 23(2), s 192- 212 . doi: 10.1111/jopp.12038
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2015). What We Own Before Property: Hugo Grotius and the Suum. Grotiana. ISSN 0167-3831. 36
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2013). Det vi eide førfast eiendom. Hugo Grotius og suum. Arr. Idéhistorisk tidsskrift. ISSN 0802-7005. 3, s 3- 14 Full text in Research Archive.
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2013). The Bridge of Benevolence: Hutcheson and Mencius. Dao: a Journal of Comparative Philosophy. ISSN 1540-3009. 12(1), s 57- 72
- Mancilla, Alejandra (2016). The Right of Necessity: Moral Cosmopolitanism and Global Poverty. Rowman & Littlefield International. ISBN 978-1783485864. 140 s.
- Mancilla, Alejandra & Campbell, Tom (ed.) (2012). Theories of Justice. Routledge. ISBN 9780754629726. 634 s.