Background and research interests
My main interests have been at the intersection between material culture and history of knowledge. I did my PhD on International exhibitions in the 19th century, and my post.doc on natural history in Norway in the 18th century. In both cases I have been interested in the interconnectedness of collection and display practices and the production of knowledge. I have recently worked more extensively on the connection between landscape representations and science in the 18th century on the one hand, and on exhibition technologies around 1900 on the other. Now my main fascination is with the work glass cases do.
Theoretically and methodically I have been interested in feminist science studies, new materiality studies, and science and technology studies.
I did my undergraduate studies in political science and history of ideas, and received my Cand. philol. (MPhil) in history of ideas in 1994 at the University of Oslo. I completede my Dr.art.(PhD) at Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo in 2002. During the years 2002-2007 I worked as a researcher and post.doc. at the same institution. I have had shorter visits at CSI in Paris 4 months 1998, been a visiting post.doc. 5 months at Max Planck Institut für Wissenshcaftsgeschichte, Berlin in 2005, and a visiting scholar at HPS Cambridge for four months in 2009.
Teaching and tutoring
I am head of the Museology programme at IKOS, and teach first and foremost Museology and Museum Studies, with an emphasis on collection history, but I am also interested in Cultural and Feminist History of Science, Norwegian 18 century knowledge culture, and more generally Science and Technology Studies
- Member of the board of Hedemarksmuseet AS 2012 -
- Chief editor for the journal Nordisk museologi/Nordic Museology 2013 - . Country editor 2010-2012.
- Head of National Academic Board for Cultural History, Cultural Science and Museology 2012 -
- Member of the Institute board of IKOS 2009-2012
- Member of steering group for MusForsk, a research initiative for museums funded by The Arts Council of Norway 2009-2012
- Expert member of MusVit, a museological research initiative by Norwegian University Museums, funded by the Norwegian Research Council 2009-2010.
- Board member for Norsk Selskap for 1700-tallsstudier/Norwegian Society for 1700 century studies 2008-2011.