Children's media and digital participation; media and cultural studies; practice theory and mediatization research; posthumanism and feminism studies; multimodal analysis and semiotics
Originally from Canada, I have lived and worked in Malaysia, Scotland, Denmark, and Norway. In 2019 I was awarded an Erasmus Mundus Joint Programme Degree Scholarship and received full funding to study Children's Literature, Media, and Culture internationally as a member of the inaugural cohort of the programme. I worked under the supervision of Dr. Stine Liv Johansen at Aarhus University producing my thesis on the topic of children's media - I Am The Main Character: Understanding TikTok as young people's media practice. Just after obtaining my IntMA in late 2021, I was invited to apply for a position at UiO continuing my research through a doctoral research fellowship, which I was awarded in 2022.
I am extremely interested in how young people engage with media, and how culturally-rooted ideas surrounding digital technology and social media influence attitudes towards children's media education, access, and participation. I am also very interested in shifting social perceptions of young people, as well as how young people themselves understand their identities within an increasingly connected communicative landscape.
My present work aims to better understand these concepts through the collection of ethnographic data in distinct cultural settings, and through the close analysis of young people's media practices on and around TikTok, the app.
Outside my formal research, I take great interest in cultural geographies and how they shape social structures, and am keenly exploring the potential in using interdisciplinary posthumanist perspectives as a philosophical framework through which to bring together ostensibly distinct fields of study (everything from literary studies to quantum mechanics) to better understand the liminal spaces of existence and experience.
International Master of Arts (Children's Literature, Media and Culture), University of Glasgow (Scotland), Aarhus University (Denmark), University of Wrocław (Poland), 2021
Bachelor of Arts (Communication Studies, English Literature, Intermedia Arts), Concordia University, Montreal (Canada), 2014
Awarded Erasmus Mundus Joint Masters Degree Scholarship, 2019
- Book Talk on BookTok ; with Sonali Kulkarni (Tilburg University) ; The Child And The Book Conference 2022 ; Valetta, Malta ; Abstract , Recorded Presentation
- I Am The Main Character: ; International Research Society for Children's Literature Congress 2022 ; Santiago, Chile ; International Research Society for Children's Literature Conferences
- Understanding TikTok as Young People's Media Practice ; CLMC Speaks 2021 ; Digital ; CLMC Speaks
- Queer Me (or The Queer Games Library) ; co-founder ; digital archive of games which offer queer perspectives for young people ; Home | Queer Me - The Queer Games Library
- CLMC Alumni Association ; founding member ; CLMC Alumni Association
- Hans Christian Andersen Award Spotlight ; shadow researcher ; Angele Delaunois: Optimism and Hope for Children Young and Old
Copy Editor and Writer, Mint Creative Marketing, Glasgow, 2022
Musical Theatre Teacher, Pauline Quark Academy for the Performing Arts, Glasgow, 2018-2022
Academic Editor, MDPI International, 2020-2021
Client Liaison Officer, FCAS ltd, Glasgow, 2018-2019
Special Education Needs and Development Consultant, British International School of Kuala Lumpur, 2015-2017
Program Coordinator, Montreal Children's Library, 2013-2015