Carla El Khoury
Teaching Arabic is not just my career, it is my passion.
I primarily teach Arabic language courses in IKOS. During my teaching experience, I have seen how learning languages can broaden a person's perspective and give them access to other cultures. For me, teaching is a way to build a global citizen who is able and willing to reach out to other people of different backgrounds and nationalities. This is mainly achieved when students reach a threshold of communicative competence and intercultural awareness, two main components of successful language learners.
Communicative language learning is a major component of my language teaching because it allows me to create opportunities that help students convey realistic and relevant messages. My role as a teacher is to create a suitable effective learner-centered environment that creates lifelong learners.
My research for the Master's degree focused on the pedagogical uses of technology. I specifically studied the role of interactive video in expanding course offerings and experiences as well as accelerating learning and motivating students.
- Arabic Teaching Associate, Arabic Studies Department, Williams College, MA.
- Arabic Instructor, Center of Arab and Middle Eastern Studies, American University of Beirut (AUB).
- MA (2017), Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language (TAFL), Lebanese University.
- BA (2013), Translation, Lebanese University.
Participated in different workshops:
- Foreign Language Teaching Workshop with Professor Li Yu, Williams College, USA.
- Micro-Teaching: focusing on basic drilling techniques with Professor Li Yu, Williams College, USA.
- Diversity in the Classroom with Professor Li Yu, Williams College, USA.
- How are languages learned? with Professor Li Yu, Williams College, USA.
- Amplifying student voices for better engagement with Mr. George Chehwan, Lebanese University, Lebanon.
- Brain-Based Teaching with Dr. Juhaina Musharraf, Haigazian University, Lebanon.
- Classroom Management: Are We Seeking Obedience or Responsibility with Dr. Lina Osseiran, Haigazian University, Lebanon.
- How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students with Dr. Lina Osseiran, Haigazian University, Lebanon.
- Effective methods in teaching the Arabic Language with Dr. Amal Yazighi, Notre Dame University, Lebanon.
- Reading strategies with Dr. Suha Safiyiddeen, Saint Joseph School, Lebanon.
- Native in Arabic
- Advanced Proficiency in English
- Advanced Proficiency in French
- A2 in Spanish Language
- A1 in Norwegian Language