From August 2017 I am leading the research project Between runes and manuscripts. The project is funded by The Norwegian Research Council's (NFR) "Young Research Talents". The project will document and study inscriptions with Roman-alphabet letters. The material is delimited to the Norwegian Viking and Middle Ages. The Roman-alphabet inscriptions are an important part of the medieval script culture, and this project will bring forth new and valuable knowledge about the use and function of writing in Norway in the Middle Ages.
I am also a member of the steering group of the research program Modes of Modification (2018–2025). The program is funded by the Swedish Riksbankens Jubileumsfond.
I was a post doctoral fellow from 2014–2017 within the research project Retracing the Reformation. The Dissemination of the Bible in Medieval Scandinavian culture. This was a project funded by NORDCORP (2013–2017) and is a cooperation between scholars from the University of Iceland, Stockholm University and the University of Oslo. We studied the Scandinavian translations of biblical texts in the Medieval period. Our main research interests were: What was translated? Which functions did the translated parts have? What can be learned about the authority of different texts and languages? To what extent may these translations have paved the way for the Reformation Bibles?
Courses I've taught at the University of Oslo:
- MAS1510 Innføring i norrøn og keltisk kultur (Introduction to Old Norse and Celtic culture. In Norwegian)
- MAS1511 Norrøn og keltisk mytologi (Old Norse and Celtic mythology. In Norwegian)
- NFI1320 Norrøn litteratur 1 (Nordisk litteratur fram til 1500) (Old Norse literature 1. In Norwegian)
- NFI1320E Old Norse literature (In English)
- NFI2320 Norrøn litteratur 2 (Old Norse literature 2. In Norwegian)
- NFI1101 Norrøn grammatikk og eldre språkhistorie (Old Norse grammar and linguistic history. In Norwegian)
- NFI1100 Runology: General Introduction (In English)
- NFI2102 Runic Inscriptions of the Middle Ages (In English)
- NFI4120 Old Norse Language and Texts (In English)
- VMS4101 Medieval Manuscript Culture (In English)
Courses I've taught at other institutions:
- NS1074 Norsk litteratur, Department of Swedish Language and Multilingualism, Stockholm University (Norwegian literature. In Norwegian)
- US306P Språk och identitet, Department of Scandinavian Languages, Stockholm University (Language and identity. In Norwegian)
- US308P/A Nordiska språk, Department of Scandinavian Languages, Stockholm University (Scandinavian Languages. In Norwegian)
- NSN100 Sociolingvistik, språkhistoria, grannspråk, Department of Scandinavian Languages, Stockholm University (Sociolinguistics, linguistic history, neighbouring languages. In Norwegian)
- Språkhistorie og talemål. Telemark University College, campus Bø (Linguistic history and dialects. In Norwegian)
Ph.d. in Old Norse philology, University of Oslo, autumn 2011.
Magister artium in Old Norse philology. University of Oslo, spring 2003.