- Visiting Fellow at QUT, Digital Media Research Centre, June 2019 - January 2020
- Associate professor at Department of Media and Communication (IMK) since 2003.
- Director of teaching and Vice head of department at IMK 2005-2009.
- Dr. art. 2002 with the doctoral thesis «Se-hva-som-skjer»: En studie av lyd som kommunikativt virkemiddel i TV (A study of the communicative use of sound in TV).
- Temporary positions as associate professor at IMK 01.08.99-01.03.00 and 01.10.2001-01.06.2003.
- Research Fellow at IMK 01.08.96-01.08.01.
- Researcher at the Oslo Police College 01.07.95 - 01.08.96.
- Research assistant IMK spring 1995.
- Cand. philol. (MA) in media studies 1995.
- Previous experience as musician and composer, teacher in primary schools, director of youth centers.
Teaching and supervision areas
I have tought around 30 BA, MA and PhD-level courses on music and media, film, TV, popular culture, communication theory, media history, audience studies and web production, and supervised more than 45 MA students and 4 PhD candidates within a fairly wide variety of subjects.
I have a special interest for music and media (from the phonograph and radio to the iPod, Spotify and WIMP), and sound studies in film and tv. My main general competence lays within studies of TV, film, social media, media technology, the role of mediation, and the relationship between interpersonal and mediated communication.
Honoraria and nominations
- Awarded Teacher of Merit by the University board in 2020.
- Awarded Teacher of the year at The University of Oslo in 2011 by the Student parliament (cf. news articles in Norwegian in Aftenposten, Universitas, IMK).
- Nomated to the Faculty of Humanities’ Formidlingspris (an award for external communication) in 2009.
- Second price and ‘honorable mention’ by the jury in Universitetsforlaget’s award for the best Norwegian journal article published by in 2007 for «‘Ford de fortjener det’. Publikumsdeltakelse som strategist utviklingsområde i mediebransjen» (cf. Maasø, Sundet and Syvertsen 2007).
Appointments and commissions
- Academic head of HF:Studio (2021 – )
- Member of program board at IMK (2018 - 2019)
- HSE / personell safety representative (2016 - 2020)
- Member of Advisory Board of Centre for Research on Media Innovations (CeRMI)
- Member of the Faculty board at the Faculty of Humanities (elected for 2011-2014).
- Editorial board for the journal Music, Sound and the Moving Image (University of Liverpo
- ol Press) 2007-2019.
- External examinor (tilsynssensor) at NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology), Dept. of Art and Mediastudies 2010-2013.
- External examinor (programsensor) at Lillehammer University College, Dept. for Film and Television studies since 2009-2012.
- Board member at Department of Media and Communication since 2009 + 1997-1998.
- Member of Studierådet at HF (advisory board of studies at The Faculty of Humanities) 2005 - 2009.
- Head of the project management group on the professional relevance of studies at the Faculty of Humanities 2005-2007. (The project was awarded the Second prize in 2008 for ’best quality in higher education‘ by NOKUT - Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education).
- Leader of the working group on the evaluation of norms and values in teaching and supervision at the Faculty of Humanities (Fall 2007).
- Member of evaluation committees for doctoral dissertations in Norway, Denmark and Sweden.
- Member of the Appeals Commitee for film- and videogram (Medieklagenemda) appointed by the Ministry of Culture) 2000-2007.
- Member of Academic Council at Norsk lydskole (NIS), Oslo, 2004.
- Webeditor and member of editorial staff of Norsk medietidsskrift 1999-2002. Principal editor for three issues.
Keynote presentations at scientific conferences
- Streaming – a challenge for the future of music? [pdf] Keynote at the Musimorphose(s) conference, Paris 11.11.15.
- ’Aural affordances’. Keynote at 11th Laterna Film Academy, 2005.
- ’Mediating sound and silence’. Keynote at The 17. Nordic conference of media researchers in Aalborg, 2005.